Reply to post: But is the code open source?

Cache of the Titans: Let's take a closer look at Google's own two-factor security keys

Milton

But is the code open source?

Notwithstanding Yubico's well-founded concerns about the use by Google of notoriously insecure Bluetooth in part of the process, I have a more fundamental question: is this system open source? I cannot think of a more fundamentally important first question to ask of any encryption/authentication scheme.

While I absolutely understand that commercial companies want to keep potentially valuable IP confidential, I don't see how anyone with serious crypto requirements (which ought to include more and more of us these days) can trust a system with closed source code at the cryptographic layer. Sure, it's fine that the radio protocols, comms drivers and other higher/transport-level stuff may be secret—in other words, any part that handles only messages which are already fully secured and therefore gibberish—but I cannot envision putting trust in closed cryptographic code. That strikes me as "Just Trust Us", if not downright crypto-by-obscurity (which any sane person should regard as worthless), and means that neither I nor anyone else can verify that the crypto is solid: not merely that it's free of mistakes, but does not, at worst, contain backdoors.

We cannot 100% trust anyone not to have been leaned on by NSA, or the Kremlin, or GCHQ. We cannot put 100% faith in crypto algorithms, crypto-chip hardware or code we haven't seen line by line, so that every expert on the planet—people straospherically beyond my level of knowledge—has had a chance to poke holes. That's not paranoia: that's a by-now age-old cast-iron and fully-hyphenated fact.

As for Google in particular: given that we hear they are disgracefully working on a version of their engine for that authoritarian, murderous, militaristic, repressive regime known as China, why, in fact, would any sane person do anything but utterly mistrust them? (I wonder how many of those noble, free-thinking, self-consciously virtuous coders at Google are refusing the bucks for this particular exercise in squalid greed ...? )

I'd like to be wrong about this ... answers on a BTL please!

"Dont' Be Evil" ... now just funny, in a dark, sick kind of way.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon