Reply to post: Re: 'Fake news'

UK 'fake news' inquiry calls for end to tech middleman excuses, election law overhaul

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: 'Fake news'

The problem with "fake news" is that it is okay for the estabilishment to lie but when the public who mostly have little reprutation (and would normally be taken with a pinch of salt) do then suddenly this is a crime?

My thinking is that since the official voice i.e. BBC etc are no longer having the old control over public opinion, they want that control back, with this law asking for obvious censorship.

When the state doesn't want to listen to the general public then it is proof that they are both isolated and acting without regard for their voters desires, when they make a law to curb the vox populi then clearly they like things as they are.

I am all for controlling the spread of lies in "official" publications but people should be allowed to think and say what they like so longer as it hurts no other private person.

Polititians like other media whores are always open season, they chose to step into the limelight and so should be taking the good with the bad with what grace they can find.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon