Reply to post: Re: What's the value anymore?

You lead the all-flash array market. And you, you, you, you, you and you...

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: What's the value anymore?

People generally don't buy flash because of its bandwidth capabilities. They're more interested in latency.

In fact, very little of what you say actually makes sense and is incoherent at best. You remind me of Spud from Trainspotting in the job interview scene.

As for "Mathematics and physics and pure logic says that data redundancy requires a minimum of 3 active copies of a single piece of data at all times. This is not negotiable. This is an absolute bare minimum."

Yes, that old trick. State "fact" and claim it's "not negotiable", even though you've provided no evidence to back up your fact. The number of copies is a small part of it. What's more important is the availability of each component, how long it takes to recover from a failure and the impact of the failure and its recovery.

I do agree with you that n+2 is a good idea. I just dispute that it's as simple as that.

"Map/Reduce technology is absolutely a minimum requirement for all modern storage"

Why? Most workloads won't benefit and it will add cost and complexity (and hence risk)

I know I'm being critical here. You do raise some interesting points, but while your post is lengthy it seems to be somewhat narrow and superficial.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon