Reply to post: this sounds familiar

2FA? We've heard of it: White hats weirded out by lack of account security in enterprise

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

this sounds familiar

"Microsoft solution that relies on using either a smartphone app, texts to a mobile or e-mails to a non-corporate account. My issue with this is that very few users are issued with company phones and I'm not willing to use my personal device for corporate stuff."

Uh, are you me? You've described my $WORK situation, ticking all the boxes.

Aside from the unwillingness to fund some kind of hard token MFA device for o365 access (I assume the reluctance is financial, but IT and the big bosses aren't saying) the ultimate goal here appears to be coercing the userbase entirely onto Windows desktops with Outlook.

The list of caveats and disclaimers about things that won't quite work right with ios, android, and heaven forbid, Linux, is daunting. And anything which accidentally works today, probably won't work right "later" when some new app control mechanism or whathaveyou is implemented.

So when you read about the sorry state of affairs wrt IT security, perhaps some of the failure to embrace and accept it has as much to do with how (poorly) it's sometimes implemented, because it ends up feeling more like punishment and vendor lock-in and much less like "protection".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon