Reply to post: Re: Use case for ReactOS

ReactOS 0.4.9 release metes out stability and self-hosting, still looks like a '90s fever dream

CheesyTheClown

Re: Use case for ReactOS

I'll start with... because "Some of us like it" and don't really mind paying a few bucks for it.

I also am a heavy development user. And although I am really perfectly happy with vi most of the time, I much prefer Visual Studio. I actually just wrote a Linux kernel module using Visual Studio 2017 and Windows Subsystem for Linux for the most part. Which is really funny since WSL doesn't use the Linux kernel.

There are simply some of us who like to have Windows running on their systems. Even if I were using Linux as the host OS, I would still do most of my work in virtual machines for organizational reasons and frankly, WSL on Windows is just a thing of beauty.

As for more modern UIs like many people complain about here. I honestly haven't noticed. You press the Windows key and type what you want to start and it works. This has been true since Windows 7 and has only gotten better over time.

Then there's virtualization. Hyper-V is a paravirtualization engine which is frigging spectacular. With the latest release of QEMU which is accelerated on Windows now (like kqemu) you can run anything and everything beautifully.

I have no issues with the software you run... I believe if you sat coding next to me, you'd probably see as many cool new things as I'd see sitting next to you. But honestly, I've never found a computer which runs Linux desktop with even mediocre performance. They're generally just too slow for me. So, I use Windows which is ridiculously fast instead.

As for Bill Gates. Are you aware that Bill has more or less sold out of Microsoft? He's down to little more than 1% of the company. You can give Microsoft gobs of money and he would never really notice. Take it a little further and you might realize that this isn't the Bill Gates of the 1980s. He's grown up and now is a pretty darn good fella. So far as I can tell, since he's been married, he's evolved into one of the most amazingly nice people on earth. I can't see that he's done anything in the past 15-20 years which would actually justify a dislike of him or a distrust of his motives.... unless you're Donald Trump who Bill kind of attacked recently for speaking a little too affectionately about Bill's daughter's appearance.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon