Reply to post: Re: Not wanting to state the obvious @JDeaux

UK.gov commits to rip-and-replacing Blighty's wheezing internet pipes

Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: Not wanting to state the obvious @JDeaux

I'm pretty certain that you do not need a TV license to watch Netflix. You only need one to watch broadcast TV.

There is a concise wording of what broadcast means in the TV license, but I can't be bothered to dig it out, but it's basically along the lines of watching a program at the same time as it is being broadcast, whatever transmission media you're using.

So, for example, if you watch something that is being served out using one of the catch-up services before it's finished in it's broadcast (it has to overlap the broadcast), then you need a TV license. If you wait until it's finished, and then watch it on a catch-up service, then a TV license is not needed (but remember the +1 TV channels).

They've also broadened the scope, as they've defined computers and other devices as TVs for the purpose of watching broadcast programmes.

As far as I am aware, Netflix do not broadcast any content, so it is all on-demand. No TV license needed. If Netflix were to start carrying 'Live' programs, sent to multiple users simultaneously, you may need one, however.

NowTV, which carries channels that are broadcast along side their catch-up content does require a license.

BBC iPlayer is a bit of an exception though, as they have added a specific requirement to have a TV license in order to use any aspect of iPlayer. This is actually more like a no-fee commercial contract. They justify this because you can watch programs on iPlayer at the same time as they are broadcast, but I actually object quite strongly to what the BBC is doing in this area.

I can see the nature of 'broadcast' being changed or challenged again in the near future, because of the nature of multicast services on the Internet. For example, many road traffic cameras provide real-time video to whoever wants to see them. Does this count as a 'broadcast'? And of course, as the technology gets cheaper, we are beginning to see small live TV stations being run out of bedrooms using cloud services, in the same way that we get small Internet radio stations. Will these count? Who knows.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon