Reply to post: Re: Vogon

I predict a riot: Amazon UK chief foresees 'civil unrest' for no-deal Brexit

jmch Silver badge

Re: Vogon

"Brexit won't go away, new referendum, stay in by other devious means, whatever. It won't go away - next time there'll just be an in or out today no deal ultra hard brexit option, to prevent remainers trying to steal it after the fact.

There's no version of the future where the UK stays in Europe or even close to it, without substantial reform of the rEU. You can't unite a country by ignoring democracy, whether you agree with the result or not."

I'm interested to know why a new referendum, after the terms of exit are more clearly known, is not acceptable? If the people who support Brexit really believe that it will be beneficial whatever the terms they would just get a renewed, or even bigger, mandate.

I don't subscribe to the idea that once a referendum has been had, then the issue is settled for all time, that is basically a dictatorship of the past to the present (or, if you will, of the old to the young). If elections are held every 4-5 years and can even be held after a couple of years if there is no continuing support for the governments agenda, I don't see why a new referendum should not be held if there is no continuing support for the exit agenda (which seems to be the case given that the new elections post-Brexit returned the Tories with a much-reduced majority, with UKIP also taking a big hit.)

And if a new referendum gives a different result, that wouldn't be "remainers trying to steal it after the fact.", it would be voters changing their minds based on a better understanding of the consequences of either choice. It's what adults do.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon