Reply to post: Re: Sorry Cori, I respectfully disagree...

Engineers, coders – it's down to you to prevent AI being weaponised

LucreLout Silver badge

Re: Sorry Cori, I respectfully disagree...

This sentence makes no sense at all to me.

That's because you're trying to conflate two seperate and unrelated issues.

If a country's primary responsibility (or one of them at least) in military matters is to take good care of the soldiers who put their lives and limbs on the line to protect our security, then surely the very first duty to those soldiers is not to send them into situations that have zero net benefit (and probably even negative net benefit) to the security of the country.

You've assumed, without any evidence, that the current deployments have zero beenfit, which is at best a debatable point, at worse pure ignorance. It simply doesn't matter whether you agree with the troop deployment, the duty once deployed it to protect them until they can be brought home safely. There's no room for variance or lefty whataboutery there. Sorry.

Secondly, you make the categorically wrong assumption that drones are supporting soldiers on the ground, but in fact in cases such as Yemen they are replacing soldiers on the ground.

Actually, you have misunderstood - that they replace troops ont he ground is precisely my point. Too many ground troops were getting blown up by IEDs, which led to drone development, investment, and deployment.

WTF is the US doing in the Arabian Peninsula anyway?

Utterly irrelevant to the debate at hand.

Oh yes, helping to prop up the corrupt dynasties that sell us their oil by running after a 'terrorist' group that has almost zero international scope and is really is a local insurgency.

You've fallen off the fact waggon and into the swamp of your own idealism and poltical views here. Lets staick to the facts that may be established and keep the debate on focus.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019