Reply to post: Re: Ok, put it another way...

Y'know... Publishing tech specs may be fair use, says appeals court

Allan George Dyer

Re: Ok, put it another way...

You're missing the point: the people who live with the consequencies of your nightmare flat are not the people who decide what is built or buy the new builds, therefore the free market does not work to the benefit of the residents or society. Would you buy a 128 sq ft flat at US$2500 per sq ft? Around here, developers are building these, and marketing them as luxury nano flats, and speculators (mostly ou-of-city money) are buying them while poor people are renting cage homes. The ever-inflating prices must be a bubble, but it's lasted for 20+ years and the free market is slow to correct while people live with chronic overcrowding. https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/02/25/govt-says-will-consider-setting-minimum-limit-apartment-sizes-nano-flat-trend-continues/

I'm advocating a balance between regulation and market forces, so I don't want rules to tell you what colour your sofa should be, but I do want rules to generally improve people's lives, even if they are not strictly safety issues. Can you take a more holistic point of view?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon