Reply to post:

As Corning unveils its latest Gorilla Glass, we ask: What happened to sapphire mobe screens?

Lee D Silver badge

Recess the screen. All this "fragile screen on top" nonsense has to stop. Even the Gameboy recessed the actual vulnerable screen and then put a clear-glass fake screen over the top. You look at every big-name portable device of long-ago... the Psions and so on. The screens are all recessed and bevelled. There's a reason for that... it makes more sense than this nonsense.

I would gladly pay more for a screen that's literally a flat-square piece of glass (thus cheap and easy to replace) recessed inside a plastic shell with rounded corners. As it is, I end up buying plastic cases that replicate just that scenario with the ridiculous "edge-to-edge" screens where the slighest impact destroys the screen and the surround can literally never be allowed to warp (I have 270+ iPads in front of me... all of the ones that are damaged, the aluminium casing has been whacked in shattering the glass and making it nigh-on impossible to repair... a simple rubber edge between would have saved them all except the ones that people literally trod on).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon