Reply to post: minimum password reset time

Either my name, my password or my soul is invalid – but which?

Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge
Flame

minimum password reset time

...casually sabotage his own monthly New Password prompts by changing his password 11 times immediately.

Which is why you should set a minimum time between changes - just dont be monumentally stupid about it.

I worked at a place (I.T. provider) where they had set the minimum time to longer than the maximum time on one of the customers systems.

Result - Impossible to change password. Do the server team give a shit? no! they arnt the ones dealing with outraged and frustrated customers and setting everyones password for them manually - no small task on top of my extremely overworked day. This went on for months. I attempted ease the situation by asking questions like "Hey guys, what are the actual password rules as people seem to be struggling". I was met with vague shit like "oh , its gotta be 8 and have a number in it, i think"

It took for me to dig out the gpo editor , dig into the AD and find the policy - and the problem and wavi it in their faces.

I said that like they then did something about it didnt I ? no such luck , no shits were given , they couldnt see the issue?!? It took more weeks of cajoling and bitching upstream.

First job I ever resigned from without having a new job ready.

My girlfriend worked there a few months longer , doing the accounts , and suddenly had a load of extra work when their accounts server died with no known backups , all data lost and they had to re-enter what data they could find from whatever paperwork they had filed!

This is an I.T company! That sells backup solutions!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019