Reply to post:

Big contenders in the broadband chart this week, but who will be #1? Well, not Britain

AndrueC Silver badge
Stop

It is worse than that. The Government declare that 95% of the population has access to speeds of 24Mb/s or more. My connection is advertised as 'up to 24Mb/s' but I never get more than 9.5Mb/s.

In what way does your particular experience make it worse than what I described? I said that 95% of properties have access to at least 20Mb/s. The fact yours is one of the unlucky ones doesn't invalidate my statement. It just means that yours is one of the unlucky ~1 million properties that can't get that speed.

My connection is advertised as 'up to 24Mb/s' but I never get more than 9.5Mb/s.

...aaand here we go again. Your connection is not advertised as any such thing. The service and technology that your connection is using was advertised as being capable of a particular speed under ideal conditions. Those same adverts will have warned you that the actual speed is line dependent. You will have been encouraged to get a tailored estimate for your particular line at the time you signed up and in all likelihood you will have been advised that your line was not capable of better than 9.5Mb/s.

It's ridiculous that so many people still don't understand this, especially on a technical site like this one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019