Reply to post: Horror stories

'Toxic' Whitehall power culture fingered for GDS's fall from grace

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Horror stories

I'm familar with someone who was tasked to bring modern methodologies to a Govt department.

They were left in an office without network connectivity for two weeks, then when they did get connectivity, every single move they made was deliberately misconstrued, they were threatened, lied about, anything to get them kicked out. And we're not talking about questioning their timesheets, we're talking full on fucking slander.

The hundreds of thousands of man hours on a major govt project that had literally nothing to show for it, not even an alpha, didn't matter - someone was upsetting the balance of power in that department, and the head honcho there didn't like it.

It's not my story to tell in detail (for a variety of reasons) but I imagine many, many people have similar experiences.

My own direct experience back in the DirectGov days - when £100,000 a year was spent on salaries for sysadmins and web devs to maintain a handful of HTML pages for dozens of departments and even smaller fiefdoms, and Directgov was taking that waste and replacing it with centralised content management - means that I'm quite, quite certain that this is just the tip of the iceberg and as time goes on, we'll hear a lot more of this coming out.

Anon, because of fucking course.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon