Reply to post:

IBM wins five-year whole-of-government deal with Australia

onefang

"How tiny is Australia?"

Depends on what you are measuring. The physical size of Australia is roughly about the same as USA. The population size is roughly on par with a few of the larger USA cities put together. The IQ of our politicians as on par with USA politicians, but that's a low bar to clear. We have waaaay less states, but since we fit them into the same area USA squeezes it's into, ours are much larger. We have cattle ranches that are bigger than Texas, USA. We have a small country town called Texas, which if I recall correctly is near a small country town called Paris. Oddly enough, each of our three biggest cities individually has a bigger area than almost any USA city. We have way more species of deadly animal than just about anywhere else. Our mountains are kinda short. We have the biggest rock in the world, but no natural holes in the ground as big as the Grand Canyon, though I can't comment on the size of our man made holes. One of our cities has the largest Greek population outside of Athens, and that city has a Malaka* Street to celebrate that fact (I used to live near it, oddly in an area with a large Jewish population).

Our dollar is often smaller than the USA dollar, but has been known to be bigger.

It's entirely possible that our politicians are cheaper to buy than USA politicians, I've never compared them. While it is true that anything imported tends to be more expensive than it is in the country we import it from (known locally as the Australia Tax, they do it coz they can get away with it), we recently purged our politicians of any with dual nationality, or potential dual nationality, or even rumoured dual nationality, so none of the remaining lot are imports.

Some of the above may be inaccurate, I've not looked things up recently, and my memory may be wrong on some of the details.

* I'm not Greek, nor do I know any Greek, but until just now when I bothered to look it up, I was under the impression "Malaka" is Greek for "shit". My quick web search tells me it has a variety of meanings, most of them not good. This maybe why the area around it is largely Jewish, the Greeks didn't want to go near it. I have no idea if "Malaka" is a Hebrew word, I don't speak that language either.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon