Reply to post: Re: Take the money

IBM fired me because I'm not a millennial, says axed cloud sales star in age discrim court row

TonyJ

Re: Take the money

"Being made redundant is unfortunate, especially if you're an older person. Mr Langley has been working for IBM since 1993 so hopefully he has built up a retirement pot and potentially a redundancy package. No details are mentioned in the original article, nor were any conditions attached to such a package. Given he's already proceeded with legal action I imagine the package, whatever it was is off the table.

WTF ? He either resigned or retired, according to IBM systems.

From the article:

Langley was unable to get a role elsewhere within IBM, and its HR system marked him as having "resigned," it is claimed. In early July, days after he left the business, Langley got a letter congratulating him on his "retirement."

If IBM cannot make up its mind, I dunno what can. Actually, I think the official plan was "anything but a redundancy", because of the expensive package attached to such a move ... and middle manglement went "either retirement or resignation" and since they failed to communicate, different systems at IBM had different reasons for his departure ;-).."

And not only that, but they're dragging his otherwise seemingly good name and performance through the mud. Can you imagine him getting a reference under those circumstances?

He was given the push, and yet retired. Or resigned. Let's assume for a moment that HR were told that he'd retired/resigned...what package would he get? One would presume nothing, as it wasn't redundancy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon