Reply to post: They shouldn't be fined.

That'll learn ya! Data watchdog spanks two Brit phone botherers

GIRZiM

They shouldn't be fined.

Instead, the directors should be locked in solitary with a phone that only stops ringing when they answer it and respond to a lot of impertinent questions about being in solitary confinement and/or take up opportunities to spend money on things that won't really help but sound like they might (ill-fitting ear muffs that don't cover both ears simultaneously, for instance).

I'm working on the idea but, so far, I see potential in there being some sort of reward system (the more questions they answer, the less frequently the phone rings afterwards) but randomised such that they never know if:

1. answering questions for thirty minutes will mean the phone stays silent for three minutes or three seconds afterwards

2. the silent time will occur immediately afterwards or at some future time (possibly even a different day/week/month/year)

3. the silent time might be fixed and, therefore, wasted if they choose to answer the phone and questions at the same time (choices, choices, decisions, decisions)

4. there is a right answer that will earn them the silent time and a wrong one the won't.

5. a wrong answer won't reduce the accrued silent time

It's not that I'm a sadist, just a highly creative thinker with a deep-seated antipathy towards cold-callers (some might even call me disturbingly vengeful, but I couldn't possibly comment myself).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon