Reply to post:

Atari accuses El Reg of professional trolling and making stuff up. Welp, here's the interview tape for you to decide...

ZootCadillac

I feel I have to take umbrage with the opening phrase "Legendary games company Atari" as i feel what follows is a terrible disservice to the once great name. Because this really isn't Atari is it? It's a small French games company named Infogrames Interactive ( eventually, they had a few renames as assets came their way) who had early success in that boom and went on a splurge buying up other struggling games companies including, Ocean International, Gremlin Interactive, GT Interactive and Hasbro Interactive which the latter, fortunately for them came with the Microprose assets plus the Atari brand name and it's intellectual property. Subsequently the company was renamed Atari Inc. and that's where we are today.

A look into their history shows some colossal losses in the hundreds of millions of dollars almost on a yearly basis and the holding company and subsidiaries spent a couple of years in chapter 11 bankruptcy.

I had the misfortune to have some dealings with them some years back. They don't take criticism at all well and they certainly do not like any scrutiny about their dealings or being reminded of the facts.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019