Reply to post: Re: Sound like bad judgement on the part of the trainee's 'supervisor'

Trainee techie ran away and hid after screwing up a job, literally

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Sound like bad judgement on the part of the trainee's 'supervisor'

"I've drilled holes where I should not have done and put lines of code in production software when I should not have done."

I replumbed my house - and the local water board then did their inspection. They climbed in the loft to look at the new water tank. They actually congratulated me on having separate outlet pipes for each major run. Apparently most plumbers would have saved time and materials by just having one,

There can come a point where "professional" short-cuts become corner-cutting.

I replaced a bath for a friend and attached the latest PVC waste pipe with compression fittings. They engaged a professional plumber to replace the main 100mm iron stack pipe. Venturing into the bathroom to see progress I found the plumber unsuccessfully trying to glue the white PVC pipe as if it was grey Osmaweld. He seemed nonplussed when I showed him how to use a compression connector.

My plumbing supplier said that many plumbers never used compression joints because the components were more expensive than glued ones. Using glue also meant that future maintenance would be more difficult.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon