Reply to post:

Dixons Carphone profits drop 24% amid hack 'n' high street struggles

Lee D Silver badge

"I can do without TV for a day" would be my response.

Shops are dead. My town is actually rebuilding all the town centre to replace the shops with a single shopping centre and lots of flats.

I only ever used such stores to do the hands-on free trial. How big is that fridge? Oh, it's got this sticky-out bit? That'll never fit in our kitchen, then. What's that TV look like? Yeah, that'd work with our wall colour. How much washing could I get in that machine? Yeah, look, it looks huge on the pictures but it only goes as far as elbow deep.

Then Google the model and buy it cheaper and delivered to your door next day.

I haven't bought any products from them in decades. They then took to making "exclusive" models that you couldn't Google but they were just normal models with tiny tweaks and number changes. At that point, I stopped using them even for that.

It's the 21st Century. Order a product at work, get it delivered that evening, pay a guy to lug it up the stairs and fit it, if it's not what you want / doesn't fit / wasn't the right bracket, just send it back. Paying someone to maintain a huge glass-front monstrosity selling products at massive markup with four idiots wandering around trying to advise people on a USB cable? No, I'd rather pay a company that stocks products, reduces overheads, employs people to do a worthwhile job and works outside of 9-5 when I'M DAMN WELL WORKING TOO.

Last appliance I ordered online was a washer-dryer. It was cheaper than EVERY SINGLE MODEL in the local shops, despite being the same brand-name. I checked out the specs, measured my kitchen to see if it fit, ordered online. adding on the "we fit for you" option (£10? Wasn't much, certainly), selected a delivery day, paid for it. It turned up one evening, was carried to my door and up a flight of stairs, was fitted and tested with me there, and the old one removed and carried away for me.

Same with grocery shopping. Press a button. Some poor sod at Tesco's has to collate 100 separate times including a bunch of soft drinks (because I order 10 if I order them online), pack them, load them, drive them to my house, unload them, maybe even carry them upstairs and unpack them for me (I tend not to and instead operate ultra-efficient "throw it all on the floor / table, I'll tip it all out, then you can go have five minutes in your van before your next job while I stick it straight in the fridge" methodologies). And it costs.. what? £2.50 if it's a late-night slot? £5 at peak? It costs me that to drive there, mess about with bags, physical labour, packing, unpacking, etc. and an hour out of my free evening.

I don't want to pay for their ginormous new supermarket 100 yards from their "Express" supermarket. I don't get why there isn't really a supermarket "brand" that doesn't have actual supermarkets. Amazon Fresh is really just Morrison's in the UK.

I will happily pay the "online saving" difference in extra delivery charges etc. and not having to go to a shop, any day. It's 2018. I already don't get much free time, and what time I spend working I do so such that I can make most use of my free time. I'm not interested in maintaining big flashy places with enormous heating/cooling/lighting bills that add that price onto the bottom of my receipt.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon