Reply to post: Re: How would they even enforce that anyway?

National ID cards might not mean much when up against incompetence of the UK Home Office

GIRZiM

Re: How would they even enforce that anyway?

Like it or loathe it, that's how the system works in those countries where they have ID cards.

Having lived in both the UK and other countries, I have to say that my response to those who thought ID cards a good idea has always been to point out that a) they can be faked and b) the only time they're necessary is when the authorities (rightly or wrongly) take a dim view of your activities for some reason and that, at that point, whether you have an ID card at all, let alone on you, is irrelevant because what they do is detain you at their leisure until they decide what to do with you - and as that's something they do in the UK without ID cards the only real difference between countries that don't use ID cards and those that do is that, in countries in which an ID card is required, you need an ID card... and in countries in which an ID card isn't required, you don't.

Really, apart from the fact that you are obliged to pay for them out of your own pocket, I don't care either way - as long as I do nothing to arouse the ire of the authorities, they make no difference to my life one way or the other. In fact I'd prefer them: they're smaller and lighter than my passport, fit into a card-holder, easier to carry. But that's only because I spend so much time outside the UK and, therefore, care about it to that minor degree. Otherwise, frankly, it's irrelevant either way around - a fuss about nothing on both sides of the argument.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon