Reply to post: Re: On balance, I have to support apple

Apple hauled into US Supreme Court over, no, not ebooks, patents, staff wages, keyboards... but its App Store

SImon Hobson Bronze badge
FAIL

Re: On balance, I have to support apple

this applies to pretty much any device

Downvoted you for this shortsighted and dangerous attitude. It's precisely because people accept the "everyone does it so 'so what'" argument that it's been able to prevail.

As I wrote in an earlier reply - if Ford, GM, Toyota, etc, etc ALL decided to make it so that they could control where you got your car serviced, where you could buy your petrol, where you could buy your (eg) tyres, and where you could drive it (eg, it just won't drive on any "road" not in their database). What then ? According to you that's perfectly OK because "everyone does it". Not for me it's not - "everyone does it" is not a measure of "rightness" !

In the automotive world, no manufacturer could manage that (not even Tesla !) - YET, too much competition. But I bet we'll see creeping restrictions in the future if it doesn't get stamped on. For reference, this is exactly the sort of complaint that's getting levelled at John Deere - they are busy using DMCA to prevent non-authorised people servicing the tractors they've sold, ie using the software element and the bad law passed for the computer & entertainment industries to control what the farmer does with the tractor that the farmer apparently no longer owns outright*.

* IMO, one measure of "do I own it outright" is "can I do what I like with it". If the manufacturer retains some controls/restriction then no, I don't own it outright.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon