Reply to post: Re: Microsoft

It's time for TLS 1.0 and 1.1 to die (die, die)

Hans 1
Windows

Re: Microsoft

I wrote a PowerShell script the other day to download a bunch of stuff ... the script worked fine on Windows 10, not so well on Windows 7, because I was doing this:

[Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol = [Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls12

A Windows 7 box I had no control over did not like this, I was told it had the latest patches, I cannot tell if it is a limitation in Windows 7 and do not really care, if it is ... I was just trying to help a few coworkers stuck on SlurpOS.

Sadly, the website where I was downloading stuff, FLOSS stuff, was correctly configured TO MANDATE TLS 1.2.

You have secure protocols, when you wish to communicate with third parties in a secure manner, well, guess what ? It makes no sense NOT to use the safest ... if you don't agree, well, I guess you are whatever you would call me.

Corporate fallacy, legacy business critical (<--- THAT is nonsense, if it were business critical, you would get your act together), whatever your excuse, as I wrote back when IBM attempted to disable TLS 1.0 (yeah, TLS 1.0!!!) in its cloud and got flack from a bunch of n00bs - size does not matter in this one, you can be a multi-billion $ company with hundreds of thousands of employees, does not matter:

If you do not take security seriously, insecurity will take care of your business, just not the way you would expect and you will end up making headlines ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon