Reply to post: MS accounts being "temporarily turned off" if not Win10?

Microsoft pulls the plug on Windows 7, 8.1 support forums

Astara

MS accounts being "temporarily turned off" if not Win10?

I had an account (my own email), since 2002 that lately was only used for MS support. I didn't use it often, last was a few months ago. I logged in a few weeks ago and found the account had been suspended for either suspected hackin attempts, or spamming, or violations of the MS-terms-of-use. I was told to send myself a text message from their site to unlock it.

Thing is, they blocked my text number as well. It won't even try to send the text message, but says this number is not allowed to receive text messages.

They provide no other way for you to recover your account unless it was an MS-account on one of their mail servers.

Most of the past few attempts at asking questions went unanswered or I was redirected to the tech forum. I remember my last message was about not being able to get the event-log server running due to an error: Error 4201: The instance name passed was not recognized as valid by a WMI data provider.

I was given all sorts of steps including rebuilding the WMI store, and the event directories and performing an "in-place" upgrade/repair. Finally I was told to upgrade to Win10 where the problem was supposedly fixed. FWIW -- I wasn't the only one with this error -- others had reported it years back -- but MS either refused or was unable to fix it. If it was known to be fixed in win10, and hadn't been fixed in Win 7 for years, that seems more than a little suspicious -- perhaps I said as much in their forum and perhaps that had something to do with my suspension -- I dunno. I may never know, because none of the two support people I talked to so far, told me anything useful -- both told me the exact same info I got from MS-web pages about cause (lots of generic reasons), and recovery, send message to a text phone -- which I'd told both of them was blocked.

Maybe MS is already using really dumb AI to answer support emails they don't want to really answer?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon