Reply to post: Re: Old school

Tech rookie put decimal point in wrong place, cost insurer zillions

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Old school

Working at a large international computer company, I needed to order 2 of the largest memory dimms (8MB I think, and quite expensive at the time, even as an internal purchase) that were available for a particular type of machine. Two packages turned up, and were put in a store room waiting for a suitable time to fit them.

After a week or so, I finally opened the packages to find not two dimms, but two carrier containers, each containing 20 dimms (I thought the boxes were a bit large, but this company was renowned for using boxes that were too big).

I talked to my manager, and he said fit the two we had ordered, and put the rest back in the store to see whether anybody missed them. Unfortunately, after about a month, the manager said he was contacted by the department responsible for shipping the dimms, asking whether we might have received more than we should, and although he thought about denying it, eventually relented and had the extra items sent back.

It was a shame, as the extra ones would have allowed me to double the memory in all of the X-terminals that we had on the staff desks at the time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon