Reply to post: Re: Targetting the ignorant?

In defence of online ads: The 'net ain't free and you ain't paying

John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Targetting the ignorant?

"* OxiClean is sodium percarbonate (Na2CO3•H2O2), an adduct of sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2).[3] This breaks down into hydrogen peroxide when dissolved in water. TAED is often used as activator"

True, but how many people are capable of safely sourcing the ingredients and mixing them in the correct proportions so as not to cause damage to the articles being cleaned or even to themselves? Everyone is ignorant in some areas of life. I did chemistry at school many years ago and I do a lot of cooking, which is a form of practical chemistry, but I'd need instructions on how to make oxyclean. I'd not even have thought about making my own until you mentioned it. It's far from my area of expertise and I don't know if I can even buy the raw, pure ingredients. Now, even if you tell me that I can easily do it at home with a 5 minute online tutorial, multiply that by all the other products and it rapidly starts to become impractical if I want time for fun and leisure outside of work.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019