Reply to post: Re: If only I could pay

In defence of online ads: The 'net ain't free and you ain't paying

Aitor 1

Re: If only I could pay

Yep, if you pay your data will still be taken/stolen.

I would gladly pay a premium to have quality content.

But, and this is a big thing, there are some conditions for that.

First, I want privacy. And it is quite complicated.. how are they going to track my article consumption if I am not tracked?

Second, while I would agree with micropayments, history tells me that "micro" gets to be confused with "mini" then just "payments". If you dont agree, just look at DLCs.

Companies that think it is ok to be paid 0.07$ per article read though intrusive ads, believe 2$ is a fair price for the same article without ads. Madness.

So I would say that a "premium" subscription would be the best thing. Of course, the problem is that then several competing "subscription networks" would arise, and the internet would get fragmented.

Don't believe me? look at netflix and all netflix clones. I want to pay to watch content, and do pay for not one, but two three content providers.. and it is at the very least "annoying" that I would have to pay at least 6 subscriptions to watch decent stuff. And the more people pay, instead of becoming cheaper, it becomes more fragmented and therefore more expensive for the user.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon