Reply to post: Re: Internal fun...

Stern Vint Cerf blasts techies for lackluster worldwide IPv6 adoption

Lee D Silver badge

Re: Internal fun...

That's a really poor excuse. Why would you need to?

In my entire network, I "know" two IP addresses. One is the gateway. One is the DNS. The gateway is also a DNS server. Everything else is in DNS.

Hence, no matter what I do, I never need more than those two. And I need those precisely when: Setting up some brand-new, from-scratch settings for, say, DHCP. Which happens, what? Once in each job? Maybe once every few years at best?

Literally the last time I read out an IP address? I can't remember. Machine imaging? No address needed. Configuration? No addresses needed (it pulls from the image or the DHCP or the network in some way). Giving remote access to someone? Cool... remote1.domainname.com (which is the first external IP address... remote2 is the other one... I have LITERALLY no idea what they are, and don't need to know. They are documented somewhere, but I've never had to type them or read them out except to create that DNS entry). Printers? Nope. All DNS nowadays (and no user needs know the IP and I don't WANT them to know, and knowing doesn't even help them, as they are VLANned and go through the print management system anyway - which is only thing that actually talks to a printer direct - and the IP of the print management that shares out all the user-visible printers? Yeah, that's in DNS somewhere).

Hell, I don't WANT to hard-code IP's into the system (into devices may be different, but you can usually always let them get a DHCP allocation and then just reserve it). It makes replacing a machine so much more tricky. Wanna take serverA offline? Okay, spin up serverB. Make sure it's working and synced.

Change serverA DNS record to point at serverB instead (hell, you can CNAME it, still no IP address!). Hey presto, done. Did it all go wrong? Remove the CNAME. Did it all go right? Retire serverA. What their IPs were is literally unnecessary for anyone to know.

And I've yet to deploy a service where it demanded an IP address and wouldn't accept a fully qualified domain name instead (an IP range might be asked for, but I can't think of anything I'm deploying that requires a specific IP address - and if you have half a brain, your IP range is easily discernible from your any of your IPs and your subnet - and you use, say, the first address as the gateway, the second as a DNS, etc. so it's easy to set up anything you do have to touch).

About the only thing I know that might demand IP is things like HA heartbeats and stuff but even then I'm pretty sure you can just use DNS addresses. I very much doubt that Google are sitting them coding in thousands of individual IP addresses.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019