Reply to post: Re: Cashless society

Visa Europe fscks up Friday night with other GDPR: 'God Dammit, Payment Refused'

Lee D Silver badge

Re: Cashless society

- I don't carry cash.

- I've never had a card cloned (stop letting it out of your sight / refuse to plug it into anything dodgy-looking).

- I have an app for my bank that tells me if anyone is doing anything on my card, and specifically warns me immediately on big transactions. You can't do that with cash, and it's a prudent thing to do on any account.

- I carry several different types of card (it's not hard, a pre-pay MasterCard/Visa card costs you virtually nothing and works in every country I've ever tried it).

- At the end of the day, I'm not reliant on the card to purchase anything THERE AND THEN. Any significant purchase is considered, planned and done in advance. I've not going to starve even if Visa goes offline for a week.

Do you people not use Direct Debit for your bills, your mortgage/rent, your council tax? How is that any different?

Side-point: I've never been mugged or burgled. But for sure if I had, I've rather they stole cards I can cancel than cash that would just disappear.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019