Reply to post: Re: Cashless society

Visa Europe fscks up Friday night with other GDPR: 'God Dammit, Payment Refused'

MonkeyCee Silver badge

Re: Cashless society

"I'd rather have the odd outage than carry stuff with inherent value around with me. "

Says the bloke with no smartphone? And no experience of ID theft either :)

My wife and my mum don't like carrying cash around, and both have had their card cloned and lost several hundred quid as a result. We only got it back (my mum was too embarrassed to argue) when I made a complaint, as the card was used in the Netherlands and then in Malaysia an hour apart. Oh, and it got declined 8 times at the Malaysian ATM, but it turns out that if you keep trying it'll work (!?!?!).

" I've had to use cash about 5 times this year due to dinosaur organisations"

You're doing pretty well then. I have to, about once a month, pay cash because some twat hasn't got any, and their plastic doesn't work at the particular venue we're at. No, not every shop takes Visa/Amex/MC. No, your UK debit card won't work on the European network. Yes, it's annoying. Yes, it's exactly what happened last time.....

Funniest was going to giant snuffelmarkt (flea market), and my friend was confused at why he couldn't pay by card the one euro entrance fee or pretty much any of the stalls.

Kids these days....

Then again, I'm old fashioned enough to keep savings in gold and silver.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019