Reply to post: Re: what do we do when the "don't run over that kid on the crossing" sensors go bad?

Uber robo-ride's deadly crash: Self-driving car had emergency braking switched off by design

John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: what do we do when the "don't run over that kid on the crossing" sensors go bad?

"And then we just have to hope that after 10 years of relying on the computer, we're somehow better-prepared to do so than this Uber car-supervisor was after 19 minutes."

Many years ago, when I worked local and rarely drove more than 50-100 miles per week, I was stuck at home ill for just over week and never left the house. Getting back into the car was a strange feeling for the first 20-30 minutes. Nowadays, I drive about 60,000 miles per year and had a similar length of time off work, no driving at all, and getting back into the car felt a bit strange for maybe the first 5 minutes or so.

I can only imagine how weird it would be for people doing an average 10-20 mile trip to work every day without having to take charge at all for years at a time, suddenly being faced with having to take control.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon