Reply to post: non-fitness user

The great wearables myth busted: Apps never, ever mattered

Chris Gray 1
Go

non-fitness user

I'm an old fart, so using my 3-year old smartwatch for fitness stuff was never something I wanted to do. It counts my steps on my regular walks, but my phone could do that. What I mostly use the watch for is telling time. Second behind that is glancing at it to see incoming texts (and often reply using the canned replies (changeable with the phone App)), see the first part of incoming emails on my rarely used gmail and ISP accounts, and see and acknowledge notifications of scheduled events. All of this is governed from my phone, so I have no use for a smartwatch with its own data connection. I also have never had any use for GPS - location services are always off on my 5 year old phone.

And yes, I never bother with the Apps I do have on the watch. When they were new I used the games a bit, but not beyond that.

So, similar in that I don't use or care about non-builtin Apps, but different in that I don't care about the fitness aspect or GPS.

I expect other life-style things will affect the value of a smartwatch to you. I don't carry my phone in my hand, and getting it out of a pocket can be a nuisance, depending on the season - taking off my gloves and opening up my parka in winter is not instantaneous!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon