Reply to post: It's a subtle plan

Microsoft gives users options for Office data slurpage – Basic or Full

Milton

It's a subtle plan

MS would find it too humiliating to ditch its core products and simply switch over to Linux and other FOSS, so it is instead getting us to do the dirty deed for them. They must have swung a long way from Ballmer's stupid tosh about destroying Linux.

Making Win10 (everything from W8 onwards) a steaming pile of manure was the start. But to make these OSs even more repugnant, spyware was included. Then, noticing that people were still stupid enough to pay money for Office, even the crippled mouthbreathing 365 version, they've had to poison those products as well, in a further bid to alienate customers. Perhaps if there are still holdouts next year the crappy Ribbon interface will swell to half the screen, or be rendered in bright purple ... anything to get rid of customers.

There are a few folks loitering here to downvote any post mentioning Linux and LibreOffice (I hope that's a remunerative activity) so please do so now, while I point out that the open-source combination—

• Has all the features the vast majority of people actually need and use

• Is free

• Doesn't contain uncheckable proprietary code

• Doesn't spy on you

• Doesn't require an internet connection

• Doesn't trash your system after ambushing it with a largely useless "update"

• Doesn't try to kidnap you into anyone's "ecosystem"

—and a no-brainer for anyone not trapped in the world of corporate idiocy.

Given the last decent (and in fact, pretty good) version of Windows was Win7, it'll be interesting to see, when support for that finally ceases in a couple of years, how many people will finally ditch MS and all its parasitic attempts to ensnare, trap and exploit customers. I don't underestimate the power of laziness, stupidity, complacency and wilful victimhood to keep people gormlessly pedalling the MS treadmill, but I'll be surprised if the end of Win7 doesn't cause a fairly spectacular spike in migration to Linux and FOSS.

Now, vote ↓ happily!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon