Reply to post: Re: Well isn't that just great

Zuckerberg gets a night off: Much-hyped Euro grilling was all smoke, absolutely no heat

Headley_Grange Silver badge

Re: Well isn't that just great

"How can we expect multinationals to fear the law if the highest bodies are totally incapable of imposing any sort of respect, let alone fear"

I know I'm beginning to sound like a two-bob watch, but which laws have Facebook broken?

Regarding respect: as far as I can tell Facebook hasn't broken any laws, so Zuck's position is that he's dragged across the Atlantic to face a grilling from people who are pissed off at what he's done, even though he hasn't broken any of the laws that these same people made. How can you respect a bunch of people who whinge at what you do but won't (or can't) change the law to get the behaviours they seem to want?

If governments want to deal with Facebook they can, easily, by passing laws. If this had happened in China or Russia or Saudi then Zuck would have been on the first flight over with a completely redesigned product in his hipster backpack pausing only to take an immersion course in advanced grovelling. (I know it's banned in China)

Dragging people in front of committees to explain why they didn't comply with with a set of standards which governments think should apply but haven't got the bollocks or democratic mandate to pass into law is a rank waste of time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon