Reply to post: Re: Privacy issues with IPv6?

IPv6 growth is slowing and no one knows why. Let's see if El Reg can address what's going on

Crypto Monad

Re: Privacy issues with IPv6?

> SLAAC will never exist on anything I control if I have any say in the matter

Then you're not using any Android devices, which still doesn't support DHCP6

I agree that SLAAC sucks, but there is one valid use case: on home networks with dynamic addressing. If the line drops and reconnects, you need to renumber your devices very quickly, which would mean extremely short lease times if using DHCP6.

Now you say, surely IPv6 has enough address space to give everyone a static allocation? It certainly does, but dynamic addressing is not due to shortage of address space: it's due to route aggregation.

When a user disconnects and reconnects, their session may terminate on a different BRAS. To avoid route flaps in the ISP's core network, the subscriber gets an address out of a larger pool which is routed to each BRAS. So if you change your BRAS, you must get a different address.

For business customers who require static addresses then usually this involves L2TP tunnelling the session to another BRAS. This makes providing static IP services more expensive (additional equipment).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019