Reply to post: Re: Glad you researched, but be careful of the source,....

Blighty's super-duper F-35B fighter jets are due to arrive in a few weeks

GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Re: Glad you researched, but be careful of the source,....

@Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese

It was allegedly the 'Grand Slam' at Scampton, although I wouldn't be surprised if this story was circualting on a different air base, as these memes are often recited as being handed down by someone close to the source, so if you were at Conningsby, the story would be linked to there.

The line from the Scampton WIki still reads: "the Grand Slam bomb had to be moved. Efforts to lift it with a small crane proved futile, as it was much heavier than expected. Upon closer examination, it was found to be still filled with live explosives. It was carefully removed on an RAF low loader and detonated on a test range."

Seems that has crept back into the article, like I said, training rounds would be the same weight, and the gate guardian, being at the front of the base, was right where the playground of the Infants school was in my day, so I really, really doubt it was live ordnance. I'm guessing it was detonated just to be on the safe side.

On demolishing Lincoln Cathedral, it's five miles from Scampton to Lincoln, a megaton range nuke would do it, but not a single conventional bomb.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon