Reply to post: Re: Had the fire brigade called to a five star hotel, in Malta....

Fixing a printer ended with a dozen fire engines in the car park

Stoneshop
Flame

Re: Had the fire brigade called to a five star hotel, in Malta....

Went back to his room, forgot about it, passed out, and was woken up by alarms and sirens.

Back in university I was sitting in my room one day when my nostrils were sensing the unmistakable whiff of a well-done[0] tosti[1]. So I figured I'd better go to the kitchen and see if someone had forgotten about their tosti in progress.

Well, indeed it was so. The toasting device was one of those iron two-part forms with long handles that you put the sandwich in, then put on the gas hob. So, no timer or sensing element apart from one's own nose. Which was clearly out of order, as the perpetrator was sitting on the couch just a few meters away reading a newspaper, just as shrouded in blue smoke as the rest of the kitchen was. Note that the door to the kitchen was closed and my room was not directly adjacent to the kitchen either, so that whiff had a few hurdles to overcome on the way from the source to my room.

[0] at a previous habitat, one of my fellow 'cooks' kept insisting that 'well-done' was the right description for a piece of bacon reduced to a near-pure chunk of carbon.

[1] probably known to you as croque-monsieur, a toasted ham and cheese sandwich.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon