Reply to post: Nvidia cards are fine

If you're a Fedora fanboi, this latest release might break your heart a little

HPCJohn

Nvidia cards are fine

Linux tip: Avoid Nvidia graphics cards if possible).

Eh?

I have a career as a manager and systems integrator for HPC systems for many years.

In an F1 team I installed and managed SuSE Linux workstations - with Nvidia graphics cards.

I have installed and managed many GPU equipped servers.

So I'm supposed to tell all the engineers and scientists I work with that they can't use the most popular platform for GPU computing and high performance graphics? Why?

To be honest I have always just installed the latest Nvidia drivers by using the command line. It is no hassle at all. I could just as easily have configured the automatic update mechanisms using a repository.

Exactly why is an article on The Reg recommending against a hugely popular piece of equipment?

You really think that all those people who are running accelerated GPU codes like Ansys, or are developing machine learning codes, or are using engineering visualization are going to abandon them just because some sysadmin says the graphics drivers are difficult to install?

I KNOW in an ideal world they should be Open Source. I know Open Source has many, many advantages.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon