Reply to post: Re: XPS

Press F to pay respects to the Windows 10 April Update casualties

WolfFan Silver badge

Re: XPS

I do have a few XPS files kicking around at work though. With PDF printer drivers costing money at the time, the advantage of XPS was that it was there. I usually used it when I needed to save some information from a website that I could only use with IE.

I've been using CutePDFWriter to write PDFs for quite some time now, since before 2008, I think. It's free. Microsoft put their own PDF writer in with Win10; I ignore it the way I ignored XPS Writer and continue to use CutePDFWriter. For one thing, the built-in Microsoft PDF writer requires you to name the PDF file, while CutePDFWriter assumes that the PDF will have the same name as the original only with a PDF extension, and gives you the _option_ to change the name if you want. Microsoft makes me type more, and, sometimes I commit typos which make finding the PDF at a later date interesting. Yeah, my fault, but CutePDFWriter manages to proactively fix user error. I like that. I may actually buy CutePDFProfessional ($50) for no other reason than to reward the devs for producing an excellent, free, tool.

Note that Apple has managed to print PDFs natively for quite some time, since the original OS X Public Beta or at least the original OS X 10.0, and Apple prints PDFs the same way that CutePDFWriter does, eliminating one source of user error. Microsoft took nearly 20 years to copy them this time, and still messed it up.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon