Reply to post: Feature Update 1803 - a bit clunky installing, no show stoppers I can see yet.

Windows 10 April 2018 Update lands today... ish

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Feature Update 1803 - a bit clunky installing, no show stoppers I can see yet.

The 1803 update was a bit clunky, failed the first time, but on reboot, then prompted with a Privacy dialog to set Cortana etc, before re-downloading the full feature 1803 update a second time, and installing. A sort of pre-installation "Privacy checkup" by the looks of it (to get you to enable Cortana).

Still seems as wasteful as ever in terms of downloading excess data, when things fail, (let's mention the elephant in the room, how wasteful the media creation ISO tool is in this regard when it fails, multiple GBs of downloaded data gets deleted, to start from the beginning all again). The media creation tool can require upto 18GB of free space too.

After installing check Privacy settings relating to Contacts, Outlook and Mail (check everything really), these have been enabled where previously they were off. There are some annoying toggles that you have have to click into to change now, not a good move.

I was also asked twice to re-enable Cortana (before installation and after), i.e. please, please re-enable Cortana.

No, because I can never switch you off again, Cortana.

I suppose it's a sign that Joe Belfiore is back at MS. {facepalm}.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon