Reply to post: Re: Can someone tell me....

Firefox to feature sponsored content as of next week

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Can someone tell me....

"what does this buzz phrase of "personalized, high quality experiences" mean???"

I don't know, you don't know, and if the people using it were to try to explain it, I probably wouldn't believe them anyway.

What I do know is that the BBC use those words as an excuse for why everyone now needs to sign in to BBC iPlayer (in my case, primarily iPlayer Radio). This despite me having multiple decades of honest licence paying.

Y'know what? Some of us don't need, and don't particularly want, 'more "personalized, high quality experiences"', whether it's iPlayer or some other excuse for the slurping of personal information.

Some of us out here that pay these people's wages want more transparency, fewer accounts+passwords and less tracking. Please? Pretty please?

All this web slurping is likely to be pointless anyway quite soon, outside the corporate world. In a few years time the vast majority of punters will be using (maybe forced into using) mobile phone apps to do stuff that they would, historically, have been able to do with a fairly basic ad-free, Flash-free (java and js-free, and) browser. The kind of thing which Berners-Lee was thinking about, and some of us still do.

How do we make it happen?

[edit: mention java, js, and various other unnecessary junk which now are taken for granted :(]

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019