Reply to post: Re: On the face of it

Leave it to Beaver: Unity is long gone and you're on your GNOME

Zakhar

Re: On the face of it

That is because most people ranting about Unity are stuck with their habit and not patient enough to look at what is better.

A good clue of this non sense rant is that those people give no objective reason. They are only subjective : "It's bad, I go elsewhere"... Admittedly taste is indeed subjective, and the beauty of Linux desktop is that you have a lot of choice.

Let's be objective, I tried 18.04 live for a few minutes, there is an essential feature I couldn't replicate from Unity that I find essential: application menu in the top bar.

Objectively, whoever decided screen must have a ratio of 16/9 made "vertical space" a scarce resource, and going back to a desktop where the "vertical space" is eaten by:

- top panel

- title bar

- menu bar

... is a big big regression for me.

No doubt I will find somewhere a Gnome Extension that fixes it, and true for the rest Canonical has done a decent job at providing a close user experience of all the bonuses we had with Unity.

I'm also short of the "workspace selector" icon for the dock that was a click away in Unity, but no doubt it is somewhere also...

So you are very right, look at "objective" features complaints, and you'll see Unity haters never give you any clue.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon