Reply to post:

When tyrants pull on their jackboots to stamp out free speech online, they reach for... er, a Canadian software biz?

Peter2 Silver badge

That's not "tolerably well" in my book.

What are you expecting, to wake up tommorow morning and find that they have moved from theocracy to democracy overnight without taking any intermediate steps? How many hundreds of years did that take our culture?

Even assuming you did wake up tommorow to find the Crown Prince overreaching massively the lunchtime news would be about him being deposed by mullahs in a manner strikingly similar to the Iranian revolution and the Shah. Would having another situation like Iran with the Shah help anybody?

As it is, a younger person is in charge of Saudi Arabia with a long term plan to modernise. Some of the older people have been forcibly retired. The security services are being held under a tighter reign. Cinema's are being opened and western films shown legally. Woman are being allowed to drive.

Personally, I think that things are going the right way in a gradual way, and when the older people opposing the changes retire/die off then change is going to not only continue, but accelerate in line with what the populace consent to.

Yeah, it's going to take decades. But if you can illustrate a well throught out plan to change the place faster then i'm certain their crown prince would be interested...

“Politics is the art of the possible, the attainable — the art of the next best”

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019