Reply to post: Re: EU friends apparantly

Blighty stuffs itself in Galileo airlock and dares Europe to pull the lever

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: EU friends apparantly

My point was about buying, not selling.

Not being in the EU or the US may well prevent us from keeping current standards when buying from any market

What does being in the EU have to do with that? Go to Amazon and look at the amount of Chinese tat on sale that doesn't meet EU or UK standards. I can personally import stuff from the US if I want, and if I'm willing to accept shitty quality & 90-day warranty in return for a low price, that's up to me. UK and EU standards have no impact.

Tory opposition to the ECHR (which we set up *headdesk*)

You're confusing ECHRs. Tory objection is to the Court, not the Convention (which, as you say, the UK helped to define). The Tory dislike is of having a European court able to overrule a British one on matters of British interest, like deporting hate preachers.

you're going to receive less from the state when in need.

For state you mean taxpayer, of course. The problem as always is telling the difference between "need" and 'want".

I don't fancy my chances of coping with a life changing event in a post Brexit Tory driven world, but it appears to be what the majority are happy with.

I, like you, am in a well-paid IT job. Post-Brexit I still expect the "state" to cover serious unexpected problems, I've paid enough for that cover, but I have of course also made my own provisions for that, in a way that suits me. I neither want nor expect the state to coddle me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019