Reply to post: yes, yes, I know Windows Phone in its various iterations had its issues*

Even Microsoft's lost interest in Windows Phone: Skype and Yammer apps killed

JLV

yes, yes, I know Windows Phone in its various iterations had its issues*

This is penny wise. And dollar wise, too. But I can't help feeling it will end up being $B foolish down the road to cede mobile to Google/Apple, even as desktops and servers slow down.

Did MS really just toss out its hat on one of the 2 main evolutionary paths of modern IT? the other one being cloud, which Azure is apparently doing a commendable job on, at least compared to whoever is #3.

I assume they did not have the $$$ to spare to stay in the mobile game after buying LinkedIn for $26B. How is that monetized, again?

I've said it before - selling a new phone OS is super hard nowadays. But with all the people who are dissatisfied with their use of either Apple or Android but totally unwilling to switch to the other, surely there might be at some point an opening for a 3rd player? Blackberry didn't have the cash to stay the game, MS does.

* not least MS' infuriating inability to provide long-term commitment on so many of its technologies.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon