Reply to post:

Even Microsoft's lost interest in Windows Phone: Skype and Yammer apps killed

I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Why wasted money? I bought my Lumia 735 nearly 3 years ago. It still works. OK, the Met Office app stopped working in February - just in time for us to get all that snow. And a bunch of other apps are no longer supported - so it's clear the phone is on the way out. But that's still way more support lifetime than any Android phone - Google only guarantee 2 years of updates on theirs Nexus/Pixels.

I'd do better with Apple, but then the cheapest iPhone is over £400, and I paid £130 for my Win Phone. I'm sad that they're killing it off, but I can't say I feel ripped off.

Even when I bought into Win Pho 7 and got stranded on that with the upgrade to Win Pho 8 (because of hardware requirements and MS incompetence) I was still happy. Sure I didn't get the latest shiny, but MS gave 2 major feature updates to Win Pho 7 and brought across about half of the shinies available on Win Pho 8, as well as giving 2-3 more years of patches.

Windows Phone has always been rubbish for apps - and most of the ones I use have a decent mobile-friendly website, so I just pin that to the homepage.

It's still a shame they've killed it though. I'm sure it could have been a contender at the cheaper end, with consistent support. And with cooperation with Nokia, they could even have done some fancy camera stuff to sell at the premium end.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020