Reply to post: Re: There really...

US sanctions on Turkey for Russia purchases could ground Brit F-35s

SkippyBing

Re: There really...

'There have been multiple issues that have caused grounding of the aircraft. Most of which could kill a pilot.'

But to date it notably hasn't, because the issues were recognised as such before an accident happened, which makes it safer than any previous fighter to have flown as much as it has. By this stage the F-22 has suffered at least one pilot induced oscillation event that left it spread over the runway.

'Funny about it being popular, most of the publicity I've heard is of the plainchant winge variety - usually off the record or anonymous. '

It really depends what sources you read, this is from one 5 sec Google search:

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2016/03/01/norwegian-f-35-pilot-counters-controversial-dogfighting-report/

Certainly the pilot who gave a brief I saw was enthusiastic about it, even if anecdote doesn't make data. But then neither do anonymous briefs.

'For the record "as reliable" as any other modern military aircraft isn't exactly the glowing epithet you think it is.'

You have no idea how glowing I think that is, but as the alternative would be another modern fast jet I don't see how it's a stick you can beat the F-35 with as anything else would be no better.

'And I thought we were supposed to have retired the Panavia Tornado? '

That will be news to the people that were using them to fire missiles at Syria last week, not that I mentioned the Tornado.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon