Reply to post: Re: Read the suit....

Amazon, LG Electronics turned my vape into an exploding bomb, says burned bloke in lawsuit

Peter2 Silver badge

Re: Read the suit....

Apparently, the lawyers client has convinced the lawyer to argue to that LG should have reasonably expected HG2 18650 cells to explode and warned clients as such.

Except they actually do, but nobody ever reads the MSDS.

http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/datenblaetter/1200000-1299999/001209846-si-01-en-HP_PAVILION_17_F012NG_NOTEBOOK_17_3_SI.pdf

3. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION

For the battery cell, chemical materials are stored in a hermetically sealed metal case, designed to withstand temperatures and pressures encountered during normal use. As a result, during normal use, there is no physical danger of ignition or explosion and chemical danger of hazardous

materials' leakage.

However, if exposed to a fire, added mechanical shocks, decomposed, added electric stress by miss-use, the gas release vent will be operated. The battery cell case will be breached at the ex

treme, hazardous materials may be released. Moreover, if heated strongly by the surrounding fire, acrid gas may be emitted.

And this battery was breached by added electric stress by miss-use, as explained in the article. You might have missed it, because it simply said 200W vape. Think about that for a moment.

Assuming the 3.7 volt batteries were used as a pair to get to 7.4 volts, then my high school electrics training says that watts divided by volts gives you amps, 200 / 7.4 = 27.02 amps. If I am drawing 27 amps from a 30 amp circuit then personally, i'm getting worried about tripping the breaker and am considering some rewiring. A high discharge 18650 battery cell is rated at 10 amps, for general reference.

Anybody else see a problem with drawing 27 amps from a battery rated with absolute maximum of 10 amps, with a well known tendancy to explode when seriously abused? In short, LG are completely innocent. The prat who designed or modded this however, is not.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon