Reply to post: Re: @boxplayer - "Nobody uses it..."

OK, this time it's for real: The last available IPv4 address block has gone

Crypto Monad

Re: @boxplayer - "Nobody uses it..."

> it will getting more expensive as time passses by

Citation Required™.

Running a dual stack network costs more than running a single stack network. If there were a defined end-point for running dual stack, then the cost could be quantified and limited. But there is no defined end-point, so the cost is unbounded.

Dual stack is not a "transition technology" in the true sense, which is to make a change to your own network. In other words: "I want to migrate my network from IPv4 to IPv6. So I will run IPv4 and IPv6 in parallel for (say) a month while I do the changes, and at the end I'll have an IPv6-only network". Dual stack would work very nicely for that.

Unfortunately, ending up with an IPv6-only network is a non-starter. You would be disconnecting yourself from the vast majority of the Internet. There is no clear benefit to starting the transition if you cannot finish the transition; but there is a very clear cost.

Of course, one day, it may be possible to actually transition a network from IPv4 to IPv6. When that time comes, those who waited will find a wider choice of less buggy IPv6 implementations to work with.

Despite what some people have said here, people aren't stupid when it comes to their own money. They *will* happily invest their own money if it will save them money. But that's not something IPv6 offers today. Just repeatedly saying that it will doesn't make it true.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019