Reply to post: Re: 250 Years War

Whois is dead as Europe hands DNS overlord ICANN its arse

GIRZiM

Re: 250 Years War

You may need to read up a bit on the state of the world during historical times. Empire building was all in vogue (and to some extent it still is today) .

I'm really not at all sure what point you're trying to make here.

The largest empire the world has ever seen was the British Empire. In terms of influence it has to be said, that it has been matched by the U.S. Empire-in-all-but-name since. Geographically, however, nothing has ever matched it.

Britain invaded all but twenty two countries in the entire world, five of which are tiny and one (Vatican City) barely even a city state on anything more than paper. Those are the historical facts, so I really don't see what I'll learn by 'reading up a bit' - there's nothing else to learn.

Germany is the powerhouse of the EU and as such does carry greater influence (to be expected) and the roots of the EU was for this to be the case (German industry plus French agriculture = EU)

No, the origins of the EU were multivariate.

I have no doubt whatsoever that there was intent to ensure that France and Germany did well out of it - every nation sees to it that, to whatever extent it can, it maintains influence in the world. To imagine, however, that those were the 'roots' of it is simplistic in the extreme and the subtler form of the Little England/Brexit argument that tries to argue that the inherent xenophobia isn't such but rather a rational response to 'economic/political realities of the EU'.

But, after a thousand years of war and, above all, the events of the Holocaust, it was as much an attempt to ensure no repeat of either in Europe as anything else. Economic superiority could be achieved between France and Germany simply by forming a pact and trading favourably with each other and imposing tariffs (both positive and negative) on other nations that both adhered to.

Apart from the U.K., precisely which nations in Europe could ever have challenged either France or Germany economically or (as a result) politically since the 1970s? On what occasions were any of Italy, Spain, Austria, Switzerland, Portugal or any of the Scandinavian nations large enough to outperform France agriculturally or had the necessary infrastructure to challenge Germany industrially? That's not to say that France, especially, would have done so well without the EEC/EC/EU - politically and economically, it has frequently not been much less of a 'sick man' than was the UK in the '70s. But at what stage could it not have achieved its current status by entering into the suggested economic/political pact with Germany? At what stage has either nation faced a serious political/economic challenge from anywhere in Europe other than the UK?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019