Reply to post: Re: Glossing a commercial turd

Airbus plans beds in passenger plane cargo holds

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Glossing a commercial turd

As for the A380 itself, sure it's a nice quiet plane, but you still have the problems of arriving at imigration among 500 other passengers. As an example, BA operate an A380 LHR to SFO, and a 787 for LHR to San Jose (SJC). Unless I were actually going into SF city I'd always take the SJC option. Smaller plane, less hassle, shorter queues at arrival & less traffic on leaving the airport. All that far outweighs the minimal advantages of a slightly quieter aircraft. There's little other onboard advantage, the cattle-class seats are equally uncomfortable in both.

I think another component of that is how busy the airport itself is. I fly in to Birmingham UK regularly, and it seems to make no real difference whether it's an Emirates A380 or a Lufthansa 737. The time through passports is about the same regardless (and quick). It's a much less busy airport than, say, Heathrow, there's far fewer flights, and I'm sure that's a big factor in their ability to quickly deal with 500+ people off an A380.

I now fly there out of preference instead of London Heathrow because of the reduced airport time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020